Sunday 18th February 2018-12:24:pm
Header Background

If you already know you need to complete a new Transport for NSW online application please click APPLY NOW.  Otherwise select from the options below for further information on the School Student Transport Scheme.

What is the School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS)?

It is a scheme administered by Transport for NSW in conjunction with schools and transport companies to enable eligible students to travel to and from school at no cost to the parents or guardians.


School Students Behaviour on Buses

Travel by bus for all students is subject to them conforming to the Code of Conduct developed by Transport for NSW. This Code of Conduct and the Guidelines for Managing School Student’s Behaviour on Buses were developed to clearly outline every student’s responsibility to behave in a manner that ensures the safety and comfort of passengers and drivers.

Disobeying these rules may lead to the withdrawal of bus travel passes and/or prosecution.

A reminder that when completing the application form the parent/guardian/carer explicitly declares that they support the code and that it has been explained to their child.

How do I know if my child is eligible?

Students from Kindergarten-Year 2 are eligible if:

  • They are a resident of NSW, or an overseas student eligible for free government education 
  • aged 4 years 6 months, or older.

No minimum distance criteria applies to these students.

Note: Pre-school children are not eligible for subsidised travel between home and school under the SSTS

Primary school students from years 3-6 are eligible if:

  • They are a resident of NSW, or an overseas student eligible for free government education
  • The straight line distance from their home address to school is 1.6 km or further.
  • The walking distance from home to school is 2.3 km or further.

Primary school students who live too close to the school to be eligible for free travel may purchase a Term Pass by contacting our office which provides bus travel at a discounted price.

Secondary school students from years 7-12 are eligible if:

  • They are a resident of NSW or an overseas student who is eligible for free government education
  • the straight line distance from their home address to school is 2 kilometres, or further, or
  • the walking distance from home to school is 2.9 kilometres or further.

Secondary school students who live too close to the school to be eligible for free travel may purchase a Term Pass by contacting our office which provides bus travel at a discounted price.

TAFE students are eligible if:

  • They are a resident of NSW or an overseas student eligible for free government education
  • They are under 18 years of age at 1 January of the year of application.
  • They are enrolled in a full-time TAFE course for a minimum of 20 hours per week.
  • They are not employed.
  • The walking distance from home to TAFE is 3.2 km or further.
  • They attend the closest TAFE where enrolment is available.

Non-Australian residents and students temporarily in Australia

Certain non-Australian residents and students temporarily in Australia are eligible for free or subsidised travel, depending on their visa subclass. You will need to quote your visa subclass number when applying for the SSTS, in addition to meeting the standard eligibility criteria.

How do I apply for a Free Travel Pass?

You will need to submit a new application online if you are:

  • applying for a school travel pass for the first time
  • requesting an additional pass as a result of a new shared parental responsibility situation (e.g. joint custody).

Please note that references to Opal Card do not apply to Rural and Regional areas, successful applicants will receive a Bus Pass from the bus operator.

You will need an email address to complete the form online. If you don't have access to the internet or an email address you will need to contact Transport for NSW on 131500 for assistance with the application.

The online form will take you about 5 to 10 minutes to complete and needs to be completed in one session. You will not be able to save a partly completed application and return to it later.

Before starting your application, you will need to know which bus operator(s) are required for the student's travel between home and school.  If you are unsure please contact our office as selecting an incorrect bus operator will extend the process and delay when your child receives their bus pass.  If the bus operator is not on the list for selection please ensure you then select the "add another operator" option.

It is no longer necessary to lodge a separate application for each different bus operator. One single online application covers all operators required for the student's complete school journey.  You must select or add all transport operators required for the complete journey to and from school.

Step 1. Parents/Guardians/Carers (or students aged 16 or over) must enter all details on the application form.

Step 2. When you have completed the online application you will be told if any further action is required on your part. 

Step 3. Schools will then endorse the application online. However, if your school isn't yet set up for online endorsement, Transport for NSW will advise if further action is required.

Step 4. Transport for NSW will then email you and the bus operator the outcome of your application, if the application is approved we will post a bus pass to you.

If your application is unsuccessful and you believe there are special circumstances about your application, you may request a review from Transport for NSW. Special circumstances include:

  • The pedestrian infrastructure between the student's home and school is unsuitable for safe walking. You need to include information on the walking route when applying for a review on pedestrian infrastructure grounds.
  • The student has a medical condition which prevents them from walking to and from school.

If additional information needs to accompany the application, e.g.

this information should be prepared or scanned before starting to complete the application form.

How to request a review

You can apply for a review either when:

  • you are completing the online application (recommended)
  • after completing the online application by emailing your supporting documents to Transport for NSW at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., quoting your application ID number in the subject line eg "Request for review – N211111". Supporting documents can also be posted to Transport for NSW Concessions Office Locked Bag 5085, Parramatta NSW 2124.

How do I update my details?

If the student already has a bus pass and:-

  • is changing school or campuses
  • is changing home address
  • has received an expiry notification from Transport for NSW
  • is repeating a school year
  • has changed their name
  • is requesting a new transport operator

you will need to re-apply or update their details online.  

Transport for NSW will email you the outcome and if the update application is successful once it has been endorsed by the School, a new bus pass will be posted to you.

You must return any bus pass to us that is no longer required or does not have the correct information.

Can my child catch the bus while the application is being processed?

Yes, when you complete your application you will receive an email from Transport for NSW confirming your application.  We will accept this confirmation of your application for a bus pass for 14 days from the date of the confirmation.

After 14 days from the date of your application we may commence charging your child a fare, please contact our office for more information about this.

What do I do if the pass is lost?

Replacement passes may be obtained at a cost of $11 by contacting our office.

Click here for a replacement pass form.

Shared Parental Responsibility?

In a shared parental responsibility situation (e.g. joint custody), a student is eligible for subsidised travel from both the parents' addresses, subject to meeting the normal eligibility criteria.

A separate online SSTS application should be made by each parent (or by the student if aged 16 or over) for each address. Applications for subsidised travel for Friday afternoons and Monday mornings only (to cover weekend access visits) are not eligible under the Scheme.

You do not in the first instance need to provide a court order or statutory declaration to Transport for NSW for shared parental responsibility situations. However, Transport for NSW in its discretion reserves the right to request these or further evidence documents if required for the purposes of determining eligibility for subsidised travel from both parents' addresses.

If you are in a shared parental responsibility situation where a School Pass has been approved and you change your address, you must submit an update application online

What happens if my child is not eligible for Free School Travel?

If Free Travel is not granted, there are two options for travel.  The first is to simply pay the fare each way or purchase a discounted Term Bus Pass which provide a minimum discount of 20% from the daily cash fare (and often significantly higher). For further details visit the Term Passes page or contact our office.